Apricot-Cherry Crisp (Gluten-Free)
- 3 tbsp butter, preferably organic
- 1 lb fresh apricots, cut into quarters, seeds removed
- 1 lb fresh or frozen cherries, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp arrowroot or tapioca flour (depending on dryness vs juiciness of apricots)
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup raw almonds, ground into flour
- ¼ cup oat groats (whole-grain oats), ground into flour (you can substitute rolled oats)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
Mix together the washed, cut-up fruit with the 2 tbsp sugar, arrowroot or tapioca flour, and almond extract. Set aside.
Heat the oven to 375-degrees F. Place butter in baking dish to melt while you prepare the fruit and crisp topping. Remove melted butter from oven before it burns. Set aside.
Grind the almonds and oats to flour consistency. Mix in the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix the melted butter into the nut-oat mixture, leaving enough butter to coat the baking dish. Be sure to distribute the butter throughout the almond-oat mixture.
Bake at 375-degrees for 45-50 minutes (or until the fruit bubbles and the topping is lightly browned).
Pour the fruit mixture into the butter-coated baking dish. Cover the fruit with the almond-oat topping. If the baking dish is filled close to top, set the baking dish on a cookie sheet to catch any fruit juice from spilling onto oven bottom.
Makes 10 servings. Each serving provides about 195 calories, 4g protein, 11g fat (3g sat), 10 mg cholesterol, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugar; 3g fiber), 55mg calcium, 50mg magnesium, 145 mg sodium, 250 mg potassium.