Dark Chocolate, Cherry, & Nut Bark (Gluten-Free)
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this magnesium-rich homemade candy. The dark chocolate and nuts are good sources of magnesium, and each ounce of this low-carb candy provides about 45 mg of mood-supporting magnesium. Loaded with plant protectors (including anti-inflammatory flavonoids and fiber—3g fiber per ounce), this bark is also gluten-free and contain no added sugar. All ingredients are available at Trader Joes.
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 6 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 4 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup toasted unsalted dry toasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried cherries (Montmercy variety recommended)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the coconut onto an unlined baking sheet. Pop into the preheated oven to toast for 5 minutes, until you can see the coconut turning golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. Place the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Add the maple syrup. Heat this mixture in the microwave oven until the chocolate is barely melted. Remove from the oven and stir until smooth.
- Add the nuts, coconut, and cherries to the chocolate mixture.
- Mix together well, then spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread the mixture quite thinly as you want the consistency to be like chocolate brittle rather than a chocolate bar.
- Put the baking sheet in the fridge to harden the chocolate for 1 hour. After this time, you can take it out and break it up or cut it into bite-size pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer if you would like to store it for longer.
Makes about 28 oz. Each ounce provides about 120 calories, 3g protein, 8g fat (3g sat), 0 mg cholesterol, 9g carbohydrate , 4 g sugar, 3g fiber, 25 mg calcium, 45 mg magnesium, 20 mg sodium, 170 mg potassium.