Mango Crisp with Anti-Inflammatory Spices (Gluten-free)
This colorful and spicy mango crisp is rich in antioxidant/anti-inflammatory plant protectors (especially from the ginger and turmeric). The crisp topping is made with ground gluten-free rolled oats and lightly toasted coconut flakes. The mango provides a natural sweetness, along with protective carotenoids and fiber to help support healthy gut function. Each serving provides about 1/3 cup fruit you can count toward your daily fruit goal. I usually remove the skin from the fresh ginger and turmeric root before grating, and add a few grinds of pepper to enhance the anti-inflammatory properties of the ginger and turmeric.
- 4 tbsp butter, salted, preferably organic
- 2 lbs. frozen mango chunks, preferably organic, thawed (or 4.5 to 5 cups per Trader Joe’s label)
- 1/8 cup (2 tbsp) arrowroot
- ½ cup finely grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tbsp (or more) finely grated fresh turmeric root (or 1 tbsp. powdered turmeric powder)
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup rolled oats, gluten-free, ground
- ½ cup unsweetened flake coconut, preferably organic, lightly toasted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Melt the butter in an oven-proof baking dish. Pour most of the butter into a separate bowl, leaving enough behind to coat the baking dish. Add the ground oats, coconut, brown sugar, and cinnamon to the bowl and mix together.
Meanwhile, pour the frozen mango chunks into a separate microwave-safe glass bowl. Thaw in the microwave oven. When thawed, mix the mango chunks with the arrowroot, ginger root, turmeric, and pepper. Pour this mango mixture into the buttered baking dish and top with the oat, coconut, sugar, cinnamon mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes until topping is slightly crisp and lightly browned. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers and warm up before serving.
Makes 12 servings. Each serving provides about 145 calories, 1g protein, 6g fat (4g sat), 10 mg cholesterol, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugar; 2g fiber), 20 mg calcium, 15 mg magnesium, 32 mg sodium, 180 mg potassium.