Lemony Lentils & Rice with Dill and Spinach (Gluten-Free)
Featuring the refreshing taste of dill and lemon, this high-fiber dish is gluten-free and can be thrown together quickly using cooked rice and lentils. It can be served as a vegan main dish or as a side dish with fish or poultry, plus steamed vegetables and/or a hearty salad.
NOTE that the small amount of sugar in this recipe comes from the lemon, dill, and spinach, and because the recipe is so rich in fiber, this small amount of naturally-occurring sugar does not pose a health concern.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, preferably organic
- 1 large red onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups cooked brown or Basmati rice
- 2 cups cooked lentils (I used Trader Joe’s 17.6 oz package)
- 1 preserved lemon (or 8 1/8-lemon wedges)
- ½ cup fresh dill (1 pkg from Trader Joe’s), rinsed & gently patted dry
- 1 6-oz package organic baby spinach, washed
Saute the onion in olive oil over low heat until translucent and lightly browned. Stir in the rice and lentils.
Using kitchen scissors, snip each 1/8 lemon wedge into very small pieces. Add these to the saute mixture, along with some of the lemon-infused olive oil from the preserved lemons. Heat through, but do not overcook.
Lastly, using kitchen scissors again, snip the fresh dill into small pieces. Then cut the washed spinach into strips. Add the dill and spinach to the lentil and rice mixture. Toss all together. Cover and let cook on very low heat until the spinach is wilted. Serve.
Makes 4 generous cups. Each generous cup provides about 400 calories, 14g protein, 18g fat (2g sat), 0 mg cholesterol, 54 g carbohydrate (6g sugar; 13g fiber), 95 mg calcium, 115 mg magnesium, 855 mg sodium, 740 mg potassium.