Spicy Anti-Inflammatory Apple Coconut Rice Pudding (Gluten-Free)
Looking for a gluten-free dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth? This colorful and spicy rice pudding contains no added sugar and is rich in antioxidant/anti-inflammatory plant protectors (especially from the ginger and turmeric). The applesauce provides a natural sweetness, along with soluble fiber to help support a healthy gut microbiome. I like to use Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Cream, because it contains only coconut & water, without thickeners and other additives. I usually remove the skin from the fresh ginger and turmeric root before grating.
- 1 can (13.5 oz) organic coconut cream (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 3-cup jar unsweetened organic apple sauce (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati rice, preferable organic
- 1 cup finely grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tbsp (or more) finely grated fresh turmeric root
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Mix all ingredients together in an oven-proof dish and bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers and warm up before serving.
Makes 8 cups or 16 half-cup servings. Each half-cup provides about 150 calories, 2g protein, 9g fat (8g sat), 0 mg cholesterol, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugar; 2g fiber), 9 mg calcium, 15 mg magnesium, 4 mg sodium, 175 mg potassium.