Crunchy Bok Choy Salad
Enjoy this flavorful salad featuring colorful vegetables rich in protective compounds that support health. These include the carotenoid in the carrots, red bell pepper, and the green part of the bok choy. The bok choy, like all cruciferous vegetables, also contains sulfur-compounds that increase the activity of detoxification enzymes in the body.
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- ½ tsp curry powder (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper (or 1/8 tsp cayenne)
- 1 3-oz package ramen noodles, crumbled (discard seasoning packet)
- ¼ cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 cups bok choy (include stalks and greens), thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper cut in thin strips
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup green onions, diagonally cut
Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk, and set aside. Combine crumbled noodles, peanuts, bok choy, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over the salad, tossing gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Yield: 5 (1-cup) servings. Each serving provides about 170 calories, 7 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, and 25 grams carbohydrate. Count each serving as 1 ½ vegetable servings.