This recipe is best with fresh broccoli … and the fresher the broccoli, the more naturally sweet it will be. To save time you can use a 1-pound bag of frozen broccoli florets. Just be sure to thaw partially (2 minutes in microwave on “high”) before mixing with other ingredients.
- 6 cups broccoli florets, trimmed & cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp. garlic, peeled & sliced (about 10 large cloves)
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste (Kosher flaked salt preferred)
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Toss broccoli and garlic with olive oil in a sealed plastic zip-lock bag or large bowl.
- Spread out onto a baking sheet in one layer.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes till lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 8 half-cup servings (cooked). Each serving provides about 55 calories, 2 g protein, 3.5 g fat (0.5 g sat), 0 mg cholesterol, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 170 mg sodium, 200 mg potassium, 30 mg calcium, and 15 mg magnesium. Count each ½ cup serving as 1 vegetable serving.
Recipe adapted from Food for Thought—Healing Foods to Savor by Sheila Kealey and Vicky A. Newman with Susan Faerber.