Scallop (or Shrimp) Salad with Edamame & Sugar Snap Peas
Another BIG color, STRONG flavor salad featuring lean seafood protein for more omega-3 fats. You can substitute shrimp if scallops are not available.
- 16 oz raw frozen scallops, slightly thawed (if jumbo, cut each into 1-in pieces)
- ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper (optional)
- 8 cups mixed Asian greens or baby greens
- 2 cups diagonally sliced fresh sugar snap peas (or snow peas with strings removed)
- 1 large red bell pepper, ribs removed, sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ to 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ cups thawed shelled edamame (microwave for 4 min), cool
- 3/4 cup dressing (Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette)
Place olive and sesame oil in large frying pan on medium heat. Add scallops heated pan. Toss to coat with oil. Cook only long enough to lose translucency. Do not overcook, as scallops will become rubbery. Set aside. Combine the scallops, greens, snow peas, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, edamame, and dressing in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Makes 4 servings.
Each serving provides about 345 calories, 30g protein, 14g fat (2g sat), 26g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 1105 mg sodium, 1090 mg potassium, 225 mg calcium. Each serving provides about 4 ½ vegetable servings and ¾ bean/legume serving.
Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 ½ tbsp. tamari soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp. finely grated orange peel (optional)
Whisk orange juice, vinegar, tamari, oil, honey, and ginger in a small bowl until the honey is incorporated. Makes ¾ cup.